Musée Léon Dierx

Artistic expression ,  Museum at Saint-Denis
  • Art museum

    Created at the initiative of Marius-Ary Leblond, the Léon-Dierx Museum was opened by the La Réunion General Council in 1912. Since its opening, it has stood out for the remarkable quality of its modern art collections. In 1947, its focus on the most innovative aspects of art in the 19th century and the early years of the 20th century was consolidated by the donation of a part of the collection amassed by the well-known art dealer Ambroise Vollard, a native of the island. Paintings by Gustave Caillebotte, Maurice Denis, Louis Valtat, Maximilien Luce, Berthe Morisot and Félix Vallotton, and sculptures by Gauguin and Picasso were added to the collections. These prestigious works, now on display alongside such Creole painters as Louis Antoine Roussin and Adolphe Le Roy, make the Léon-Dierx Museum a temple to art unparalleled anywhere else in the Indian Ocean. Upon appointment, the museum’s visitors’ department organises commentated visits to the permanent and temporary exhibitions, for school groups, leisure centres, and all sectors of the public. Open Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Closed on 1 May. Reservations obligatory for groups. Reduced admission fee €1 (senior citizens – Groups of 10 people maximum upon reservation). Free admission on the first Sunday of every month. Exempt: young people under 18 years of age, school groups, students, anyone entitled to minimum social security benefits, the disabled, members of national or international organisations working in the field of museums (ICOM, OCIM and UNESCO), associations of people undergoing training, Pass Loisirs holders, and the press. Photograph credits: Gustave Caillebotte, “L'Entrée au Jardin, Petit Gennevilliers, barrière"", oil on canvas, donated by Lucien Vollard in 1947. Coll. Léon Dierx Museum. Inauguration of the Léon Dierx Museum on 12 November 1912. Coll. Arch. Département of La Réunion. Jean Baptiste Carpeaux, “Bacchante aux Roses”, detail of “La Danse pour l’Opéra Garnier”, Circa 1872, Terracotta, Donated 1912. Coll. Léon Dierx Museum. Louis Antoine Roussin, “Cap Bernard”, pastel, donated by Eugène Jacquier, 1911. Coll. Léon Dierx Museum. Louis Antoine Roussin, “Evêché de la Réunion”, circa 1860, Coll. Léon Dierx Museum. The museum’s exhibition rooms in the 1930s, Coll. Léon Dierx Museum. Permanent exhibition rooms, June 2009. Théo Rysselberghe, “Jeune Fille”, oil on canvas, donated by the artist in 1911, Coll. Léon Dierx Museum. Visits to the Léon Dierx Museum.
  • Environment
    • In the town centre
  • Spoken languages
    • French creole
  • Tourism and handicap
Rates
Payments methods
  • Visa
  • Cheque
  • Cash
  • Rates
  • Person
    2 €
Openings
Openings
  • All year
Add a review

Leave a review about Musée Léon Dierx :

  • Horrible
  • Bad
  • Average
  • Good
  • Excellent
There is no review about Musée Léon Dierx, be the first to leave one !