Landing at Roland Garros Airport in St Marie gives you a great view of the Roche Ecrite summit and, if the sky is clear, the Piton des Neiges as well.
St Denis, the island’s administrative centre
~ 120 000 inhabitants, hectares
What to see and do in St Denis:
- Creole houses and buildings dating from the East India Trading Company, in particularly the Maison Deramond and the Prefecture, which are open to the public on National Heritage Days
- the Léon Dierx Musuem, the Artotheque, art galleries...
- the Natural History Museum and State Garden
- the ‘Grand Marché’ (handicraft from the Indian Ocean) and the ‘Petit Marché’ (fruit, vegetables, spices...)
- the mosque and other religious buildings
- several theatre and music stages : the Grand Marché Theatre, Champ Fleuri, and La Fabrik...
- seafront walks along the Barachois
- the picnic area at Le Brûlé and surrounding walks (the Maniquet waterfall..) or treks (Roche Ecrite)
- La Montagne with its adventure playground, the Colorado Golf Course and Cinderella’s Garden (botanical garden)
What to see and do in St Marie:
- the tomb of canonized Brother Scubillion and the Vierge-Noire at Rivière des Pluies
- canyoning at Bassin Boeuf by Piton Fougères
- sugar cane fields
What to see and do in St Suzanne:
- Domaine du Grand Hazier
- Niagara waterfall
- the play area at Bocage
- exhibitions at the St Suzanne lighthouse