The origin of this savoury fritter can be traced back to India, but this delicious treat is very popular right here on Reunion Island! They are made using butter beans or lentils, and then seasoned with chili, coriander, turmeric or cumin. It is an essential addition to the creole aperitif. Here is the recipe for the “bonbon piment” so you can make them at home.
“bonbon piment” recipe
- Leave the beans to soak overnight in cold water
- Remove the skins of the beans and blend them into a smooth purée.
- Season with finely chopped spring onions, green chili and finely chopped ginger.
- Mix together and take one tablespoon of the preparation to form a ball
- Create a circle with the mixture, around 4cm diameter and 10mm thick. Make a hole in the middle.
- Fry at 150-160 degrees until it turns golden brown
- Lay onto kitchen roll to absorb the grease
Serve piping hot !
- 500 g of butter beans
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 big piece of ginger
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 bundle of spring onions
- 10 small green chilis
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt and oil