Roland Adrien Georges Garros was born on 6 October 1888 at Rue de l’Arsenal (now “Rue Roland Garros) in Saint-Denis, Reunion Island.
- 1908: he graduates from HEC.
- 1910: he obtains his Aéro-Club de France pilot’s licence.
- 1913: he achieves the feat of flying across the Mediterranean Sea, non-stop from Marseille to Bizerte in Tunisia.
- 1918: he dies in air combat at Vouziers
- 1928: Emile Lesieur, the Stade Français chairman, pays tribute to his friend Roland Garros and requests that the stadium at Porte d’Auteuil be renamed Roland Garros.